——– Пересылаемое сообщение ——–
От кого: George Veni <email@example.com>
Кому: George Veni <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Дата: Четверг, 12 октября 2017, 7:13 +04:00
Тема: NCKRI cave and karst news announcements
This week’s message includes several major and important announcements from NCKRI and its friends:
· Job Announcement: National Cave and Karst Research Institute Looking for PhD Cave/Karst Scientist
· To Know and Share Caves and Karst Symposium: Call for Abstracts and Registration is Open, France
· SINTERLAKEN 2019: Swiss National Congress of Speleology
· Job Announcement: Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Resources Management Supervisor
· Eurokarst: Abstract Deadline Extended
· British Cave Research Association Cave Science Symposium: Third Circular Available
· Friends of Karst Meeting at the Geological Society of America Convention
· List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
The details are presented below. Please contact the people or organizations listed for more information, and feel free to share this message with anyone who may be interested.
Job Announcement: National Cave and Karst Research Institute Looking for PhD Cave/Karst Scientist
The US National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI) is seeking a PhD-level scientist with cave and karst expertise to serve as the Director of NCKRI’s Academic Program. The NCKRI Academic Director is an Associate Professor or Professor based at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (New Mexico Tech), NCKRI’s administrative and academic partner, which is located in Socorro, New Mexico, USA. Cave and karst knowledge is the primary expertise required and may be in any area of the earth sciences or related fields.
The NCKRI Academic Director plans, administers, and coordinates cave and karst research, students and related activities at New Mexico Tech on behalf of NCKRI. Specific major tasks include developing, conducting and supervising cave and karst research programs, soliciting funds and other assistance to support the research programs, publishing results in NCKRI reports and appropriate scientific journals, attending conferences and other meetings to present research results, collaborating and building relationships with colleagues and potential colleagues and students, and promoting NCKRI and its New Mexico Tech Academic Program.
For a full description of the job and how to apply, visit http://www.nmt.edu/images/stories/hr/AssocProfEESCaveKarst17-161.pdf. If you have questions related to applying for the job, contact New Mexico Tech. If you have questions about the job requirements and expectations, contact NCKRI Executive Director Dr. George Veni at email@example.com.
To Know and Share Caves and Karst Symposium: Call for Abstracts and Registration is Open, France
between scientists, land and cave managers, NGOs, and cave and karst specialists to share their experience and knowledge in cave and karst management. The primary goals are to:
· Evaluate current and future challenges in preserving and developing caves;
· Highlight the necessity of interdisciplinarity for a better understanding and development of caves and karst; and
· Present new methods for the conservation and development of caves and karst in a context of global climate change and local environmental, demographic, economic, and other stresses with a long-term view toward global geotourism.
SINTERLAKEN 2019: Swiss National Congress of Speleology
Between 9-12 August 2019, the 14th Swiss National Congress of Speleology will be held in Interlaken, Switzerland. During this four-day period, all aspects of caves and caving will be the focus. We offer:
· Communications and workshops
· Exhibition and competition for maps
· Photo competition
· Cave trips and camps
· Booths with vendors
And of course, a gala dinner and a diverse nightly program won’t want to miss!
The congress is organized by the Caver’s Association of the Hohgant area (HRH), and your expectations in every aspect will be fulfilled! For more information, visit https://sinterlaken.ch/en/.
Job Announcement: Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Resources Management Supervisor
This position is listed as “Supervisory Integrated Resources Program Manager Interdisciplinary” at https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/481451200 where all details on the job may be found. The job is based at Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico, USA, in the Division of Resource Stewardship and Science. The position directs an intricate program of resources management activities that involve sensitive and complex issues that may impact a wide variety of surface and subsurface park issues. The period to apply for the job closes on 20 October 2017, and only current career or career-conditional employees of the US Department of the Interior may apply.
Eurokarst: Abstract Deadline Extended
Dear friends and colleagues
The date for submission of abstracts (in English or French) for the Eurokarst Symposium is postponed until 18 October. Do not miss it!
Abstracts can be submitted at www.eurokarst.org, where you will find all other information on this symposium that will be held in Besançon, France, on 2-6 July 2018.
We remind you that at this stage of the procedure the summaries can be very short and present only the essential ideas.
These summaries will make it possible to evaluate the number of people who wish to participate in the symposium and who wish to publish a more complete paper. This will allow us to begin to estimate the number of people who will present their work in oral or poster form and thus design the symposium on this basis.
An extended abstract or a more complete article (depending on what you wish to submit) will be requested later (from December 4, 2016). The decisions of the Scientific Committee will be based on these final versions. We insist that the second deadline will only be accessible to those who have submitted their preliminary summary in October.
With all our friendships and we look forward to welcoming you in Besançon next year.
Catherine and Philippe
British Cave Research Association Cave Science Symposium: Third Circular Available
The Cave Science Symposium is fast approaching. Please find a few final details in the attached circular. I look forward to seeing many of you there.
Friends of Karst Meeting at the Geological Society of America Convention
Hello Karst Colleagues:
FOK@GSA2017 (Friends of Karst Social Gathering) is planned, and the flyer is attached. 6:30-9:30 pm, Tuesday 10/24, at Optimism Brewing Company, 1158 Broadway, Seattle, 98122
It is, as always:
- On Tuesday evening.
- Open to all
- Sort of inconvenient.
- The place to meet your colleagues and talk about karst.
In keeping with our goal of “getting away from convention center”, you are invited to socialize at a well-respected brewpub, less than a mile from downtown. We will have snacks, but not dinner. However, you are welcome to bring in food, or to visit food trucks parked outside.
As you know, this casual event has no real sponsorship. Please consider contributing some $$ towards group snacks. Send check (made out to Ira Sasowsky), or cash, before September 20th to
Dr. Ira Sasowsky
Dept. of Geosciences
University of Akron – Crouse Hall 215
Akron, OH 44325-4101
Please share this email widely. Thanks – looking forward to seeing you.
Ira, Lee, Johanna (your unofficial FOK@GSA2017 coordinators
Dr. Ira D. Sasowsky, Professor
Dept. of Geosciences
University of Akron – Crouse Hall 215
Akron, OH 44325-4101
phone: (330) 972-5389
fax: (330) 972-7611
Skype name: irasasowsky
List of Upcoming Cave and Karst Meetings
1) National Cave and Karst Management Symposium, 16-20 October 2017 (Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA), http://www.nckms2017.com/
2) British Cave Research Association 28th Cave Science Symposium, 20-21 October 2017 (Leeds, UK), website to be announced.
3) Geological Society of America Convention, 22-25 October (Seattle, Washington, USA), http://www.geosociety.org/GSA/Events/Annual_Meeting/GSA/Events/gsa2017.aspx
International Conference on Geomorphology, 6-11 November 2017 (New Delhi, India), karst session, http://www.icg2017.com/session.php
The Sinkhole Conference, joint with the 3rd Appalachian Karst Symposium, 2-6 April 2018 (Shepherdstown, West Virginia, USA), http://www.sinkholeconference.com/
8) California Cave Life Symposium, 28 April 2018 (California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, California, USA), firstname.lastname@example.org
EuroKarst 2018, 2-6 July 2018, (Besançon, France), http://www.eurokarst.org/
18th International Vulcanospeleology Symposium, 21-27 July 2018 (Lava Beds National Monument, California, USA), http://www.vulcanospeleology.org/sym18/ISV18.html
11) 2018 US National Speleological Society Convention, 30 July – 3 August 2018 (Helena, Montana, USA), http://nss2018.caves.org/
12) EuroSpeleo Forum 2018, 23-26 August 2018 (Ebensee, Austria), http://eurospeleo.at/expo.html.
13) 24th International Conference on Subterranean Biology, 20-24 August 2018 (University of Aveiro, Portugal), http://24icsb.web.ua.pt/.
14) 16th International Symposium of Speleotherapy, 24-28 October 2018 (Zlate Hory, Czech Republic), http://www.speleotherapycommission.webgarden.com/menu/news/the-xvi-th-international
Hypogea 2019: The International Congress of Speleology in Artificial Cavities, 20-25 May 2019 (Dobrich, Bulgaria), http://www.hypogea2019.org/
16) National Speleological Congress of Switzerland, 9-12 August 2019 (Interlaken, Switzerland), https://sinterlaken.ch/en/
George Veni, PhD
President, International Union of Speleology
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA